Monday, October 19, 2015

Apples....

Apples In the Bible.....

I went to a Harvest festival this weekend with my oldest grand daughter...they had packing bins and packing bins filled with apples , pears, winter squash, gourds. Plus, plates filled with toothpicks, chunks of apples and pears to taste...with their appropriate labels..so one could purchase their favorite tastes, textures and uses...hummmmm good...I have never seen so many varieties of apples in my life...and so much difference in tastes...from crispy tart to soft sweet, from pure white to rosy pink....add to that. arts, jams, honeys, Jellies, wines, a food court with fresh salmon and live music...no corn maze or pumpkin chunking...

We chose a firm, crisp apple which lasts a while for her family and I got a small variety pack for myself...I was tempted by all those apples to go on and on...

I always picture Adam and Eve with large a apple in hand in the garden of Eden ....being tempted by the serpent,  shrewdly slithering around and around, tossing out tempting words, slyly grabbing their attention, deceiving their senses...until finally they succumb to his lies...similar to the wicked queen in Snow White, holding the beautiful, shiny Apple with her gnarled hand  close to Snow White's face shiny with purity and innocence...tempted....and won over....

But, it doesn't say "Apple " in Genesis. It says "fruit". A fruit they picked off of the tree in the middle of the garden, a tree of the knowledge of good and evil...tempted and won over ...and their eyes were opened from the innocence with which they were so gifted....and so goes the world from there...tempted again and again through the ages...by lies, deception and all the evil Satan can hand out...not an apple but a fruit of his nature...

Thank YOU that You have the final victory, God...the all powerful, the Almighty. Help me to overcome the temptations that are thrown out to make me stumble, question...

Verses containing "apple"

Song of Solomon 2:3 

As an apple tree among the trees of the forest, so is my beloved among the young men. With great delight I sat in his shadow, and his fruit was sweet to my taste.

Proverbs 25:11 

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.

Song of Solomon 7:8 

I say I will climb the palm tree and lay hold of its fruit. Oh may your breasts be like clusters of the vine, and the scent of your breath like apples,

Psalm 17:8 

Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings,

Joel 1:12 

The vine dries up; the fig tree languishes. Pomegranate, palm, and apple, all the trees of the field are dried up, and gladness dries up from the children of man.

Song of Solomon 8:5 

Who is that coming up from the wilderness, leaning on her beloved? Under the apple tree I awakened you. There your mother was in labor with you; there she who bore you was in labor.

Song of Solomon 2:5 

Sustain me with raisins; refresh me with apples, for I am sick with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment