Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Devotionals again....

Devotionals .......

Over the years our family has done a multitude of devotionals, some just for kids, others for we adults, or combinations of the two...that was besides reading the Word each day...

When our children were little, my husband would read each one from the Picture Bible. we would also read at the breakfast table;
Magnificent machine, keys for kids, Proverbs, the Bible alphabet, the Daily Word.

This was all pre-computer...now these are available on the computer without all the paper...

For several years, My husband and I went through the Navigators Prayer and praise journal....we read 31 days of praise-several times, Jesus calling-many times,  Jesus lives, walk through the Bible-several times,  through the psalms in a year, a hymn for each day, devotions for those in leadership, experiencing God, devotionals for entrepreneurs, devotions for dieters, devotions on Hope through grief, and even those quick devotions in  the car(not my favorite).....

 Not matter what we did, God spoke into that day to our hearts, a Word of praise, thanksgiving, conviction, hope, encouragement .....His Word never grows old...it may speak at one level one year and at another level later...passages take on a whole new depth depending on what life experiences are happening to us...

For example, I always loved the book of Ruth for a love story...but as a widow, going through it again,  it took a whole new light and meaning...truths that I didn't relate to before, became more enlightening...

Thank YOU for always speaking to my children, my husband and I through Your Word, through various devotional books over the years...Your Word has been a lamp to all of our feet through time...You have shown us a path..please continue to work through your Word in our lives, with guidance each day...

Psalm 119:9-16 How can a young person stay on the path of purity?By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart;do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, Lord; teach me your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.

Psalm 119:169-176 May my cry come before you, Lord;give me understanding according to your word. May my supplication come before you;deliver me according to your promise. May my lips overflow with praise,for you teach me your decrees. May my tongue sing of your word,for all your commands are righteous. May your hand be ready to help me,for I have chosen your precepts. I long for your salvation, Lord,and your law gives me delight. Let me live that I may praise you,and may your laws sustain me. I have strayed like a lost sheep.Seek your servant,for I have not forgotten your commands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment