Friday, January 28, 2022

Moving forward….

 Moving forward…


I am reading a novel about cancer survivors and families of non-survivors…by Ruth Herne

A quote, “ she had been so angered by what she lost, that she’d forgotten to celebrate what she had.” It was a turning point of her grief journey….


This stuck in my mind. We each have those turning points or faith challenges…which way do we turn? Do we choose to live in the hurt, the past, the anger, the frustration or do we choose to move forward?

When I look back on the following blog, we had to move forward, no other choices with terminal cancer…we sought out the help we needed medically, physically as well as business advice, estate advice…there were so many decisions….we knew there was to be some pretty hefty changes. Our emotions were all over the chart…as we moved forward…but we also took time to celebrate the time we had…there were a lot of “lasts” and “firsts”….there was a time for tears and laughter …


I thought of the story of Jesus being asked why his disciples weren’t fasting…he said they could do it after he was gone…making the most of the time they had while he was with them…


Thank YOU… 


“Listening to bad news...moving forward... 


I remember the moments when two different doctors gave the diagnosis of terminal cancer for my husband.  One was the afternoon in ER after I took him to find out why he was losing his balance so much...the second was after surgery two days later. Both doctors said basically the same thing...15-18 months at the most....we were in shock....this wasn't what we wanted to hear, let alone live with....they both gave the cancer a name and of course we looked it up to find out for ourselves what this disease was...were the doctors really right?, what were we dealing with?, was there someplace we could go for "better" treatment?, what was the treatment?, ....then we continued living day to day...dealing with whatever came as best we could... 


Lawyers, doctors, accountants, friends, family, business matters....a multitude of details...we tried to make the most of our time....everything seemed to be in fast forward and intense .....every family and friend time was precious ....we did the mundane as well, trying to find a new normal which changed daily it seemed...my husband even went to a convention ....I dropped him off in the morning and picked him up in the afternoon...he enjoyed talking to friends in his industry from many,  many years of association ....(he was called an institution of that industry in the state)... 


God held us so very closely...although we couldn't "see" Him, He was there with us all the time, strengthening, encouraging, comforting, holding ...every waking moment...he was there in the people he sent, the notes and treats we received, the love we felt.... 


Thank YOU for the bad news as well as the good...thank You for holding our family closely...even when at times we may have felt You didn't ...we may never understand the "whys"... But we trust you know... 


Joshua 23:8 But you are to hold fast to the Lord your God, as you have until now.  


Psalm 18:16-19 He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters.  

He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me.  

They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me.  


Psalm 139:8-10 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.  “


No comments:

Post a Comment