Thursday, September 9, 2021

Walk the talk….

 Walk the talk….


Reading the first part of Daniel, one cannot help but be caught by the descriptions of Daniel…what others thought of him, his reputation, his stand in a foreign land who worshiped foreign gods…


“youths without blemish, of good appearance and skillful in all wisdom, endowed with knowledge, understanding learning, and competent to stand in the king's palace, and to teach them the literature and language of the Chaldeans. 

But Daniel resolved that he would not defile himself with the king's food, or with the wine that he drank. Therefore he asked the chief of the eunuchs to allow him not to defile himself. And God gave Daniel favor and compassion in the sight of the chief of the eunuchs, As for these four youths, God gave them learning and skill in all literature and wisdom, and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams. 

And in every matter of wisdom and understanding about which the king inquired of them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters that were in all his kingdom. 


Then Daniel replied with prudence and discretion to Arioch, the captain of the king's guard, who had gone out to kill the wise men of Babylon. Daniel answered and said: “Blessed be the name of God forever and ever, to whom belong wisdom and might. He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding; he reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with him. 


To you, O God of my fathers, I give thanks and praise, for you have given me wisdom and might, and have now made known to me what we asked of you, for you have made known to us the king's matter.” 


Then the king gave Daniel high honors and many great gifts, and made him ruler over the whole province of Babylon and chief prefect over all the wise men of Babylon. 


At last Daniel came in before me—he who was named Belteshazzar after the name of my god, and in whom is the spirit of the holy gods —and I told him the dream, saying, “O Belteshazzar, chief of the magicians, because I know that the spirit of the holy gods is in you and that no mystery is too difficult for you, tell me the visions of my dream that I saw and their interpretation. 

This dream I, King Nebuchadnezzar, saw. And you, O Belteshazzar, tell me the interpretation, because all the wise men of my kingdom are not able to make known to me the interpretation, but you are able, for the spirit of the holy gods is in you.” 

Therefore, O king, let my counsel be acceptable to you: break off your sins by practicing righteousness, and your iniquities by showing mercy to the oppressed, that there may perhaps be a lengthening of your prosperity.” 


There is a man in your kingdom in whom is the spirit of the holy gods. In the days of your father, light and understanding and wisdom like the wisdom of the gods were found in him, and King Nebuchadnezzar, your father—your father the king— made him chief of the magicians, enchanters, Chaldeans, and astrologers, because an excellent spirit, knowledge, and understanding to interpret dreams, explain riddles, and solve problems were found in this Daniel, whom the king named Belteshazzar. 


Now let Daniel be called, and he will show the interpretation.” 

I have heard of you that the spirit of the gods is in you, and that light and understanding and excellent wisdom are found in you. 

Then this Daniel became distinguished above all the other high officials and satraps, because an excellent spirit was in him. 

And the king planned to set him over the whole kingdom. 

Then the high officials and the satraps sought to find a ground for complaint against Daniel with regard to the kingdom, but they could find no ground for complaint or any fault, because he was faithful, and no error or fault was found in him. 


When Daniel knew that the document had been signed, he went to his house where he had windows in his upper chamber open toward Jerusalem. He got down on his knees three times a day and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as he had done previously. 


Then the king commanded, and Daniel was brought and cast into the den of lions. The king declared to Daniel, “May your God, whom you serve continually, deliver you!” 


As he came near to the den where Daniel was, he cried out in a tone of anguish. The king declared to Daniel, “O Daniel, servant of the living God, has your God, whom you serve continually, been able to deliver you from the lions?” 

My God sent his angel and shut the lions' mouths, and they have not harmed me, because I was found blameless before him; and also before you, O king, I have done no harm.” 


I make a decree, that in all my royal dominion people are to tremble and fear before the God of Daniel, for he is the living God, enduring forever; his kingdom shall never be destroyed, and his dominion shall be to the end. He delivers and rescues; he works signs and wonders in heaven and on earth, he who has saved Daniel from the power of the lions.” 

So this Daniel prospered during the reign of Darius and the reign of Cyrus the Persian.”

Daniel 1:4,8-9,17,20,2:14,20-23,48,4:8-9,18,27,5:11-12,14,6:3-4,10,16,20,22,26-28


The take away is this…do I live a lie…do I walk the talk….? 

It just so happened that we were studying the words, “pretext”,  “contrive”, “pretense” in Sunday School this past week in grieving the Holy Spirit…


“Pretext….

: a purpose or motive alleged or an appearance assumed in order to cloak the real intention or state of affairs


Contrive…

contrive ways of handling the situation

: to make schemes


Pretense…

: a claim made or implied

especially : one not supported by fact

: mere ostentation :

confuse dignity with pomposity and pretense

: an inadequate or insincere attempt to attain a certain condition or quality

: professed rather than real intention or purpose : PRETEXT

was there under false pretenses

: MAKE-BELIEVE, FICTION”

(All definitions are from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary…)


…they fit this context of Daniel…he did not live a lie…he walked his talk and was noticed….his epitaph would be a positive reflection of his character…his life is written in the Word for all to see…

My takeaway…what is my reputation before others?…what would someone write on my gravestone?…are my words acceptable long after my demise?…

But, most importantly…would/do my words/life direct others to the Living God?…

Thank YOU for a lesson in “reputation “….



16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 5:16


….and having a reputation for good works…..

1 Timothy 5:9b


2 “‘I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false. 

13 “‘I know where you dwell, where Satan's throne is. Yet you hold fast my name, and you did not deny my faith even in the days of Antipas my faithful witness, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells. 

19 “‘I know your works, your love and faith and service and patient endurance, and that your latter works exceed the first. 

3 “And to the angel of the church in Sardis write: ‘The words of him who has the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. “‘I know your works. You have the reputation of being alive, but you are dead. 

2 Wake up, and strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your works complete in the sight of my God. 

8 “‘I know your works. Behold, I have set before you an open door, which no one is able to shut. I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. 

15 “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot!

Revelation 2:2,13,19,3:1-2,8,15


Only fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things he has done for you.

1 Samuel 12:24 


…..The Lord has sought out a man after his own heart….

1 Samuel 13:14b


But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”

1 Samuel 16:7


and said, “O Lord, God of Israel, there is no God like you, in heaven above or on earth beneath, keeping covenant and showing steadfast love to your servants who walk before you with all their heart;

1 Kings 8:23


as long as my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils, my lips will not speak falsehood, and my tongue will not utter deceit. 

Far be it from me to say that you are right; till I die I will not put away my integrity from me. 

I hold fast my righteousness and will not let it go; my heart does not reproach me for any of my days.

Job 27:3-6


O Lord, who shall sojourn in your tent? 

Who shall dwell on your holy hill? 

He who walks blamelessly and does what is right and speaks truth in his heart; who does not slander with his tongue and does no evil to his neighbor, nor takes up a reproach against his friend; in whose eyes a vile person is despised, but who honors those who fear the Lord; who swears to his own hurt and does not change; who does not put out his money at interest and does not take a bribe against the innocent. 

He who does these things shall never be moved.

Psalm 15:1-5


You have tried my heart, you have visited me by night, you have tested me, and you will find nothing; I have purposed that my mouth will not transgress.

Psalm 17:3


Prove me, O Lord, and try me; test my heart and my mind.

Psalm 26:2 


Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. 

Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! 

For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. 

Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. 

Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me. 

Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart. 

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have broken rejoice. 

Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. 

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.

Psalm 51:1-10




No comments:

Post a Comment