Sunday, September 26, 2021

A week of contrasts….

 A week of contrasts…


Earlier this week, a tour of the old penitentiary was the activity for a day…rose gardens bloomed among the gray stone walls of captivity…the metal bars locking the small  dark cells…paint peeling away from the tons of concrete….hand hewn stones…a burned out chapel…”exercise areas”, history boards of numerous events, testimonies and timelines of various  captives held….creaking doors, isolation holes, fences, gardens, dairy barns, laundry and shower facilities, all open for a visitor’s perusal…


A sign saying , “if your were a resident here, tell us your story”…some went on the better lives while others did not…most were not

“lives well lived”…nor were the words “well done, good and faithful servant” used for most of these prisoners…

Leaving this dreary place was welcome…is was interesting, a story of lives, bit a place of darkness….


On the other hand, a contrast…attending a funeral a of man, freed from the prison of atheism and no God…who became, until his passing, a man sold out to his Lord…from darkness to light…from a captive to freedom in Christ, a shepherd to many…

Testimonies of this man, were those of love for others, a passion to win souls, history of doing good…loving son, husband, father, grandfather and friend…”living his life with the light of God always shining”…

His epitaph could read, “Well done, good and faithful servant”…

Finishing this memorial was a song lead by the servant himself through the help of video from past church services…”Great is Thy Faithfulness”…. A fitting end and beginning of his own story…and the lives he touched…


Thank YOU…


The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. 

He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion— to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. 

They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor.

Isaiah 61:1-3 


“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”

Luke 4:18-19


Song…. "Give Me Jesus"


In the morning, when I rise

In the morning, when I rise

In the morning, when I rise


Give me Jesus.

Give me Jesus, 

Give me Jesus.

You can have all this world,

Just give me Jesus.


When I am alone,

When I am alone, 

When I am alone,

Give me Jesus.


Give me Jesus.

Give me Jesus, 

Give me Jesus.

You can have all this world,

Just give me Jesus.


When I come to die,

When I come to die,

When I come to die,

Give me Jesus.


Give me Jesus.

Give me Jesus, 

Give me Jesus.

You can have all this world,

Just give me Jesus.


Give me Jesus.

Give me Jesus, 

Give me Jesus.

You can have all this world,

You can have all this world, 

You can have all this world, 

Just give me Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment