Saturday, July 24, 2021

Waiting…not my cup of tea…

 Waiting…not my cup of tea….


In the ESV version of the Bible, there are 133 instances of the use of the word, “wait”….plus several more that are coupled with the word, “patient or patience “….none  of which was I born with too much of…”let’s get it done”….move, forward…


We use the phrase, “pray for patience” glibly…yuck…when we pray for patience it seems as though we get more trials to learn more patience…the circle continues….round and round…


But, patience is listed as part of the fruit of the Spirit…


But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Galatians 5:22-24


So waiting seems to be a discipline that is part of our lives…a learned one for some…not something that comes automatically….we wait in lines, we wait for permission, we wait for others, we wait for an answer….we wait…wait…wait…and as we wait we can choose to be totally frustrated, annoyed, angry, or chalk it up for another “waiting experience “…or be at peace with the wait…I want the latter, but probably exhibit the former more…

As Paul,says in Romans….


For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.

Romans 7:15


But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these, be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace.

2 Peter 3:13-14


I was reading still in Isaiah when the word “wait” jumped out…so hence the thoughts on waiting…so I got bogged down in the waiting game yet again…

 A few encouraging verses…


Noah waited…


He waited another seven days, and again he sent forth the dove out of the ark. And the dove came back to him in the evening, and behold, in her mouth was a freshly plucked olive leaf. So Noah knew that the waters had subsided from the earth. Then he waited another seven days and sent forth the dove, and she did not return to him anymore.

Genesis 8:10-12


Jacob waited…


I wait for your salvation, O Lord.

Genesis 49:18


Moses waited…


The Lord said to Moses, “Come up to me on the mountain and wait there, that I may give you the tablets of stone, with the law and the commandment, which I have written for their instruction.”

Exodus 24:12 



Ruth waited….


She replied, “Wait, my daughter, until you learn how the matter turns out, for the man will not rest but will settle the matter today.”

Ruth 3:18


Hannah waited…


Elkanah her husband said to her, “Do what seems best to you; wait until you have weaned him; only, may the Lord establish his word.” So the woman remained and nursed her son until she weaned him.

1 Samuel 1:23 


David waited….


Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long. 

May integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for you.

Psalm 25:5,21


Thank YOU, yet again on lessons on waiting….help me to be still and wait to see how You will work…not moving ahead on my own…. 

No comments:

Post a Comment