Monday, October 23, 2017

"The land of the in between"

"The land of the in between..."

I heard a "new to me" phase yesterday, "the land of the in between".

The pastor was speaking about the Israelites when they were in the desert, having left the slavery of Egypt or the known, moving toward the promised land or the unknown... I did hear the rest of the sermon, but my mind still camped on that phrase...

How much time in life are we in the "land of the unknown"?
- pre teens, we are waiting to be a big "teen"
- As a four year old waiting to be old enough to go to school  as a five year old
- As a teenager waiting to be old enough to get that coveted driver's license
- Waiting to become an adult
- Waiting to get married
- Waiting to go to college
- Waiting for that first child
- That first promotion
- The first house
- Anticipatory grief...
- Moving into a new area..
- A doctor's diagnosis...
- Sitting in a hospital, waiting...
- Taking care of the home bound or being home bound...
"The land of the between". There are dozens, hundreds, thousands of that "in between"...where we are moving from the known to the unknown...

The waiting, the anticipation...the moving at times, the not knowing the outcome....sometimes with joy and other times with dread...the promise ahead of good or bad...life changing events...

The Israelites, at times, wanted to go back, even though they were enslaved, to the known of Egypt...instead of moving ahead to the promised land, the land reported as filled with milk and honey...their land...

As we get older, sometimes, we think back on life, wanting to turn back the clock for a "do over", having more wisdom for decisions, take back an action or word...but we move ever closer to our promised land...we may not like the path, or the trials getting there, but we are really in the "land of the in between"... Waiting for our promised land...with so many lessons along the way...trusting the God who goes ahead and prepares the way...thanking Him for the daily provision of sustenance...our journey ...

Thank YOU...

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity.
I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord , “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”
Jeremiah 29:11-14

On that day I swore to them that I would bring them out of Egypt into a land I had searched out for them, a land flowing with milk and honey, the most beautiful of all lands.
Therefore I led them out of Egypt and brought them into the wilderness. I gave them my decrees and made known to them my laws, by which the person who obeys them will live. Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy.
Ezekiel 20:6,10-12

The heavens praise your wonders, Lord, your faithfulness too, in the assembly of the holy ones.
Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne; love and faithfulness go before you.
Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, Lord. They rejoice in your name all day long; they celebrate your righteousness.
For you are their glory and strength, and by your favor you exalt our horn. Indeed, our shield belongs to the Lord, our king to the Holy One of Israel.
Psalm 89:5,14-18



No comments:

Post a Comment