Thursday, March 10, 2016

Building houses...

Building homes....

My husband and I started building a new home from scratch 30 years ago this year...we had searched far and wide for a piece of ground, purchased it, hired a contractor, developed and drew our own plans....it was definitely a family affair....from the two year old pounding nails to the high schooler designing and building his own cabinets, the girls in-between selecting their own wall coverings and colors, dipping boards in a preservative solution, sliding rough cut boards through a lathe to create the size and shape we wanted....

We were blessed and were able to build two new homes, remodel one and just paint the others...each having their wonderful separate memories both good and bad...

Now, I look at my adult children. Each has either remodeled or built homes of their own,,,with similar challenges both good and bad...from no show workers.., to delayed deadlines, to wrong paint or carpeting, broken pieces, flooded floors.....you name it....

I have built a home on my own since my husband passed away as well...same challenges, but this time, I had  to meet them without his help...I was so glad I had had the previous experience. It made me stronger, less apprehensive, more understanding and less dramatic ...."this too will pass" and "in six months this will be done and forgotten"....even when the deadlines loomed closer and closer..

I am glad God is building my next home...His schedule is just right, no broken pieces, not flooded floors, no crying babies, no extra contractors....only eternal pieces, the right plans, beauty unlimited, promises kept...

Thank YOU

Psalm 127:1a Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.....

John 14:1-4 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. 
You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 
You know the way to the place where I am going.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment