Saturday, July 4, 2015

doves...




Doves....

I have mourning doves in my yard everyday...
They come to feed of the seeds that are scattered by the other birds at the feeders...they come to bathe, fluttering in the cool bird bath and they come to rest, sitting quietly in the rocks in the shade of the trees...

When disturbed, they flap their wings in their distinct manner, chirp and fly away, only to return again later...

They look so downy and soft, shiny gray and peaceful..watching everything around them...ever alert even at repose...

I wonder what it looked like when Jesus rose out of the water when John baptized Him...a voice speaking...

Matthew 3:16-17 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” 

And doves were the sacrifice of the poor...purification ...

Leviticus 5:7 “‘Anyone who cannot afford a lamb is to bring two doves or two young pigeons to the Lord as a penalty for their sin—one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering. 

Luke 2:22-24 When the time came for the purification rites required by the Law of Moses, Joseph and Mary took him to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord as it is written in the Law of the Lord, “Every firstborn male is to be consecrated to the Lord”, and to offer a sacrifice in keeping with what is said in the Law of the Lord: “a pair of doves or two young pigeons.” 

Jesus had already been acquainted  with doves...He was the first born of Joseph and Mary .....

Now, We associate peace with doves...but they are spoken of from Genesis  to John in the Bible...used as pictures, descriptions ....

I look at "my" doves everyday, feasting,  bathing and resting ...each a picture for me of feasting on God's word, cleaning my heart, and resting in Him...and I need that reminder daily...just as they do...

Thank YOU for the doves...

No comments:

Post a Comment