Monday, July 11, 2022

Martha, Martha…l

 Martha, Martha….


I was raised by two perfectionists…there were just the three of us, so it was fairly easy to keep things in “order”.

Every project had to be just right…the saying I heard all the time growing up was, “do it right the first time and then you don’t have to do it again…”…was a high standard to live up to…when I had multiple children, that was a bit harder to adhere to…and I ran myself ragged trying to make everything “perfect”. The house had to be clean all the time…when company came, food had to be just right, everything clean, perfection…..one day I realized, no one really cared and I was setting myself for “no fun with company” as I was dreading it and always tired..I did not look at other people floors, or their houses, it was about fellowship, visiting, people, not the busyness of the service…so the conscious decision was made to slack off…enjoy…

I didn’t do certain things, because I knew they wouldn’t be perfect the first time, too high of expectations on myself…so I missed out doing things that might have been fun, maybe not perfect, but fun…I hated playing the piano because it wasn’t perfect(my mom was a music teacher)…I didn’t paint because it wouldn’t be perfect like my mom’s…so many missed opportunities because “perfectionism “ was in the way….Not blaming my parents…my own expectations got in the way…


Then you read about Martha…her perfect serving heart got in the way of listening to Jesus…she wanted to serve well, and wanted her sister to help…instead of simple fare, “cookies and milk” she probably prepared a whole feast when the others just wanted to fellowship, listen to Jesus…not that what she did was wrong, but a wrong attitude..


Later, we find her serving again…(her gifting must have been serving)…maybe she had simplified by then…she wasn’t called out on it this time…no exasperated “Martha, Martha”…


We are called, “And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Colossians 3:17

Not for our own perfectionism, but for Him…a much better reason…


Thank YOU…



Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. 

And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. 

And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. 

But Martha was distracted with much serving. 

And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” 

But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, 

42 but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”

Luke 10:38-42


Six days before the Passover, Jesus therefore came to Bethany, where Lazarus was, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. So they gave a dinner for him there. Martha served, and Lazarus was one of those reclining with him at table. Mary therefore took a pound of expensive ointment made from pure nard, and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped his feet with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

John 12:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment