Saturday, May 7, 2022

Here I am, there you are….

 Here I am, there you are…


A friend recently shared these two attitudes with me…


When we enter a room, what do we portray….The “look at me, serve me” or “ I am here to serve you”….convicting, isn’t it…


Jesus addressed this situation… 

And in his teaching he said, “Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes and like greetings in the marketplaces 39 and have the best seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at feasts, 40 who devour widows' houses and for a pretense make long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation.” 

And he sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the offering box. Many rich people put in large sums. And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny. And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. 44 For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.”

Mark 12:38-44


Solomon speaks of it…

One's pride will bring him low, but he who is lowly in spirit will obtain honor.

Proverbs 29:23 


Isaiah brings it up…

 And the haughtiness of man shall be humbled, and the lofty pride of men shall be brought low, and the Lord alone will be exalted in that day.

Isaiah 2:17


Jeremiah talks of  Moab…

We have heard of the pride of Moab— he is very proud— of his loftiness, his pride, and his arrogance, and the haughtiness of his heart. I know his insolence, declares the Lord; his boasts are false, his deeds are false.

Jeremiah 48:29-30


Obadiah wrote of it…

The pride of your heart has deceived you, you who live in the clefts of the rock, in your lofty dwelling, who say in your heart, “Who will bring me down to the ground?” Though you soar aloft like the eagle, though your nest is set among the stars, from there I will bring you down, declares the Lord.

Obadiah 1:3-4


John conveys it…

For all that is in the world— the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life —is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.

1 John 2:16-17


So what attitude do I need…


Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me! 

Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression. 

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

Psalm 19:13-14


For the Lord  takes pleasure in his people; he adorns the humble with salvation.

Psalm 149:4 


When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.

Proverbs 11:2


For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Galatians 1:10


rose from supper. He laid aside his outer garments, and taking a towel, tied it around his waist. 

Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him. 

When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you? 

13 You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. 14 If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. 

15 For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. 

16 Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.

John 13:4-5,12-16


Thinking through this last scripture, Jesus washed all of his disciples’ feet, even Judas, who would betray him…Jesus served his betrayer….just as he died for all…even those who deny him…


Thank YOU….help me to be the “there you are” servant….

No comments:

Post a Comment