Friday, May 22, 2020

The closet...

The  closet....

This winter I determined to work on my wardrobe...I started adding new pieces as I could and found some replacements to add...
This started when I realized that travel pictures over the last 15 years showed the same wardrobe over and over again...
But, they are comfortable, I argued with myself...I like them, they fit, they are durable, easily washed and dried...and dated...but then, who really cares...
The “trouble” is instead of replacing, I added...so now I have a new fall wardrobe and new spring one...but no travels...no trips due to this pandemic...and I am still wearing sweats and  tee shirts...the new clothes still hang expectantly, waiting ....and the closet is full...

In the grand scheme of life, this is very trite...but, being clothed in various garments was brought up over 225 times from Genesis to Revelations...from Adam and Eve to the end...clothed in white, righteousness...and not the sackcloth of mourning...

The priests of old had Priestly garments made especially for them...each item, a specific meaning, set apart...

There were garments of sackcloth for mourning, distress..

Best garments...rich garments, old garments, and new...

References to strength, splendor , majesty...being clothed  in various attitudes... good and bad...

Gird your sword on your side, you mighty one; clothe yourself with splendor and majesty.
Psalm 45:3

You crown the year with your bounty, and your carts overflow with abundance. 
The grasslands of the wilderness overflow; the hills are clothed with gladness. 
The meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are mantled with grain; they shout for joy and sing.
Psalm 65:11-13 

Therefore pride is their necklace; they clothe themselves with violence.
Psalm 73:6 

May my accusers be clothed with disgrace and wrapped in shame as in a cloak.
Psalm 109:29 

for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.
Proverbs 23:21 

The angel said to those who were standing before him, “Take off his filthy clothes.” Then he said to Joshua, “See, I have taken away your sin, and I will put fine garments on you.”
Zechariah 3:4

My favorites...

You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent. Lord my God, I will praise you forever.
Psalm 30:11-12 

I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. 
For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
Isaiah 61:10

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Matthew 6:25-26,28-33

And so many more...the clothes in my closet will see their end in a thrift store, another closest, in rags or whatever ...of no real value ...

But being clothed in the joy of the Lord, in His salvation...that has eternal meaning...the very most important....thank YOU....

No comments:

Post a Comment