Thursday, May 28, 2020

Further instructions...

Further instructions....

Years and years ago, my mother and I discussed the possibility of both my father and my husband passing away...a morbid thought, I know, but to us was a distinct possibility...
Both were on the road a great deal of time, my father  already had some health problems, etc...it was a just a conversation of “what if’s “...
What would we do...thinking through our strengths, talents, personalities...

She was a painter, who at the time, was designing packets of projects to sell.   She loved the designing part, but not the “how to” instructions which accompanied each design.  I loved the “how to”, but couldn’t paint at all...so we would talk and work through the instructions to see if I, as a non painter, could follow them...combining our talents. 

I never became a painter, and she never liked the writing, but rather taught into her eighties, for which she is well loved and remembered ...the “what if’s” didn’t happen in any form of what we imagined...and I alone am remaining, a totally undreamed-of ending...

I was reminded of that time, those conversations, those instructions we created for her packets... when finishing Colossians ...

There is an ending section in my Bible, titled, “further instructions”...Paul has been encouraging, instructing, all through the letter...”to the saints and faithful brothers in Christ at Colossae”...a group he may never have met in person, but wanted encourage...

But, he wasn’t quite finished and added...”further instructions “.. before the ending of the letter...a succinct list...finishing and continuing on...much like the painting instructions...my mom wanted her students to finish well, and move forward...remembering the past instructions and adding to them...always learning...putting into practice...just as Paul wanted ...as Christ desires...that we keep transforming more and more into His image...thank YOU...

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. 
And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. 
Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. 
Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. 
Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
Colossians 4:2-6 

No comments:

Post a Comment