Monday, March 16, 2020

Passing through...

Passing through...

The movie, “The Ten Commandments”, starring Charlton Heston  made it debut in 1956. It was bigger than life it seemed..I barely could see over the seats in the theater. It went on to be a yearly movie to watch around Passover time in the spring...a true classic movie...the director took some liberties with the Word when I look back on it now, but the bigness,  the crowds, the scenery, people were impressive...it definitely made the time period come alive...

A friend suggested that this coronavirus reminds him of that Bible passage...only now instead of the Israelites being saved with lamb’s blood over their doors, this virus can affect everyone especially those over 60...so we are being warned to self quarantine, hunker down in our own homes...

I was rereading the scripture about the Passover, looking up “angel of death”, but it wasn’t angel who went over the land, it was the Lord, Himself.  “ I will” pass through, bring judgment, pass over, strike...He didn’t leave it to his created beings, He did it Himself...”I am the Lord”...it was that serious...He was that serious...saving His beloved chosen People as He promised...Abraham’s seed...

“On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn of both people and animals, and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the Lord. The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are, and when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt.
Exodus 12:12-13

Later, in another scripture, He did send and angel to accomplish his will over the Assyrian camp...God was just as serious about saving this city, but sent an angel instead...

“Therefore this is what the Lord says concerning the king of Assyria: “‘He will not enter this city or shoot an arrow here. 
He will not come before it with shield or build a siege ramp against it. 
By the way that he came he will return; he will not enter this city, declares the Lord. 
I will defend this city and save it, for my sake and for the sake of David my servant.’” 
That night the angel of the Lord went out and put to death a hundred and eighty-five thousand in the Assyrian camp. 
When the people got up the next morning—there were all the dead bodies! 
So Sennacherib king of Assyria broke camp and withdrew. 
He returned to Nineveh and stayed there.
2 Kings 19:32-36

Predictions for this virus are to affect 70% of the population. My mind pictures the dark cloud that covered the land, the wails of mourning from the movie...I am not sure of where or who this coronavirus will afflict, not sure if this is a judgment or part of the decaying world we live in, but God is in Control, has been, is now and always will be...this is no surprise to Him...thank YOU...

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” 
Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. 
He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. 
You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. 
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. 
You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked. 
If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. 
You will tread on the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent. 
“Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; 
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. 
He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. 
With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation. ”
Psalm 91:1-16 

No comments:

Post a Comment