Sunday, January 19, 2020

Salt...

Salt...

34 “Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again?
Luke 14:34 

I was reading in Luke this am....this verse about salt popped out...

I just revamped my spices as well as my pantry...one of the things I threw out was old salt...as a single, I don’t go through much salt and I don’t use too much either...but it seems to come in larger quantities...
The salt I threw out had lost its prime and was rather bland...sooooo away it went...

Having been to the Dead Sea this spring, I know what fresh salt looks and smells like ...watching my family floating in the waters looked fun, but a little too harsh for my skin..but the air smelled of salt...plus venders had plenty to sell, packaged for travelers...it came in creams, spice combos, exfoliants, toothpaste,...you name it, they sold it...

When we resided in Nevada for so many years of our married life, we drove across salt flats many times...bleak, harsh, hot, vegetationless, dusty....the pioneers dreaded the “40 mile” desert they would encounter as they came closer and finally arriving...

So saltiness has different meaning to different people...we use it for so many things, but it also can be harsh, unforgiving...

It is a preservative, a seasoning...

God wants us to be salt...adding seasoning  to our speech, our lives, to those around us...helping to preserve life...
But not losing our flavor with age...not arid and unfriendly, harsh and tasteless...not bleak and dusty, but adding vibrancy to life...

Thank YOU...Lord, help me not to be “old salt”, but adding taste to 
Iife...grace...

Season all your grain offerings with salt. Do not leave the salt of the covenant of your God out of your grain offerings; add salt to all your offerings.
Leviticus 2:13 

That person will be like a bush in the wastelands; they will not see prosperity when it comes. They will dwell in the parched places of the desert, in a salt land where no one lives.
Jeremiah 17:6 

13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
Matthew 5:13 

Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
Colossians 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment