Monday, January 6, 2020

Rocks....

Rocks....

A song that was one of my husband’s favorites was “Rock of Ages”. Originally penned by Augustus Toplady in the 1700’s, it probably wasn’t written for geologists...

But my geological, rock-studying husband like it...and he requested it at church when he could...

I was reminded of this again when we were studying one of the names of God in Sunday school this week..

We, as a family depended upon rocks, barite, gold bearing, silver bearing, gravel...rocks were the basis for our livelihood...my husband had files and libraries about rocks, geological maps, samples by the ton of rocks, storage units full of rocks...but, even though he made his living by rocks, he put his trust in the Rock, Christ as his savior...

A picture that comes to mind, we are surrounded by rocks, our walls are made from rock, we mine to get our jewels, the glass which we look through is from rock...the roads on which we drive is made from rock, the computers which we depend upon are derived from various rocks...
God made the rock, is the Rock-our foundation, our strength, our fortress and he gives us pictures everyday of our dependence upon the Rock...thank YOU...

He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.
Deuteronomy 32:4 

“There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God.
1 Samuel 2:2 

He said: “The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior— from violent people you save me. “
The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be my God, the Rock, my Savior!
2 Samuel 22:2-3,47 

The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
Psalm 18:2

Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal.
Isaiah 26:4 

Lord, are you not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One, you will never die. You, Lord , have appointed them to execute judgment; you, my Rock, have ordained them to punish.
Habakkuk 1:12 

24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.
Matthew 7:24-25 




“Rock of Ages

Rock of ages, cleft for me
let me hide myself in thee;
let the water and the blood,
from thy wounded side which flowed,
be of sin the double cure;
save from wrath and make me pure.
Not the labors of my hands
can fulfill thy law's commands;
could my zeal no respite know,
could my tears forever flow,
all for sin could not atone;
thou must save, and thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
simply to the cross I cling;
naked, come to thee for dress;
helpless, look to thee for grace;
foul, I to the fountain fly;
wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
when mine eyes shall close in death,
when I soar to worlds unknown,
see thee on thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee.”

“The Lord is my Rock, and my Fortress, and my Deliverer.” (Psalm 18:2) 

No comments:

Post a Comment