Saturday, October 10, 2020

Gardens along the way...30...ready for winter, thankfulness...

 Gardens along the way...30...ready for winter, thankfulness...



I am putting my garden to sleep for the winter ( I think)...the leaves are falling, rains are predicted, cooler weather is coming, less sunshine, ready to winter prune my little orchard, cut down the surprise sunflowers,  pick the last of the tomatoes, zucchinis, pull and discard the plants...like tearing out old friends...we have spent many hours together this season...


I planted, watered and God caused the increase ...I am thankful...but, I had also to be thankful for trees that didn’t produce due to the frost...


I remember distinctly the time that I learned my first lesson of being thankful in all things...we were living in the Cascades in a little “community” called Jawbone flats, now called Opal creek. ( it just burned to ground recently in the Oregon fires). I had just learned my grandfather was in the hospital in California...and was dying...now, if you didn’t know, grandparents are supposed to live forever...so this was heart wrenching as we were close...I had just been reading that we are to rejoice always and I wasn’t too happy about that bit of information...


I was arguing with God about giving thanks...how could I do that when my grandfather was dying or the myriad of other things that weren’t thankful worthy in my opinion...but He repeated it over and over until I had to relent or refuse...it was like plucking out an old friend that was growing well..cleaning out part of my garden of flourishing unhealthy  habits...how could I be thankful in all things? But, I had to plant  this new habit, thought process...something that would grow year around and permeate all of life..


But the verses  are clear..


Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7


Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 

May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18,23-24


This lesson has followed me through many deep waters, hard and easy times...it still needs cultivation once in awhile...but to be at peace, I need to be thankful...in the winter times as well as all the seasons of life...thank YOU....


Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. 

Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.

Proverbs 19:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment