Thursday, April 19, 2018

Neighbors...


Neighbors...

I live in a neighborhood of mostly retirees...it wasn't really planned that way, but it is what it is...

My next door neighbor has a full time caretaker, her daughter...who looks warn out from the stress of caring for her mother who has dementia, can't live alone and can't afford to move to senior care facilities...

Another neighbor, down the street, her husband has almost quit eating and drinking, hospice has come and gone this week with care help, encouragement...

In another house, the husband lost his leg, the wife fell, and now both are in a care home...he used to exercise his dog each day when I walked, now the place is quiet, no longer a cute dog greeting mine or a visiting word...

But the day to day, hour by hour living is wearing these dear ones down...tears near the surface, brokenness, dread, guilt, praise alternate from one to the next in seconds...

Been there, done that....

While other neighbors are still trying to vacation, visit as much as they can, cleaning out their motor homes or flower beds, starting their fountains, irrigation as spring has arrived in spurts...

We are walking our dogs more and more in the sunshine which peaks through the variety of clouds...enjoying the new flowers, trees in bloom...all the while , while others are letting go of life here...

I give one hugs and listen all I can as she struggles, waiting ....
And think of the times I have been in her shoes...
It is so hard, but, God held my hand as he is hers, counting her tears as well...

We talked about stages of death yesterday...there are good resources...

https://hospicefoundation.org/hfa/media/Files/Hospice_TheDyingProcess_Docutech-READERSPREADS.pdf

http://www.caringinfo.org/files/public/brochures/UnderstandingtheDyingProces.pdf

https://www.verywell.com/the-journey-towards-death-1132504

 A few of many references...

God is close as always...carrying her family...loving them through this process..

Thank YOU...

You who are my Comforter in sorrow, my heart is faint within me.
Jeremiah 8:18

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Psalm 23:1-6

No comments:

Post a Comment