Saturday, August 7, 2021

Eeyore….

 Eeyore….


Eeyore is a fictional character in the Winnie-the-Pooh books by A. A. Milne. He is generally characterized as a pessimistic, gloomy, depressed, anhedonic, old grey stuffed donkey who is a friend of the title character, Winnie-the-Pooh.


I know several “Eeyores” and have known more  over my lifetime…they are the “cups-half-empty” ones who when given good news find a negative side to it…the victims even when life is going great….the naysayers…


I thought of this when  reading the books of Jeremiah, Lamentations…

Jeremiah ,when called by God to be his spokesman, said “ I am too young”…, but God replied….


Now the word of the Lord came to me, saying, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” 

Then I said, “Ah, Lord God! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth.” 

But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a youth’; for to all to whom I send you, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. 

Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, declares the Lord.” 

Then the Lord put out his hand and touched my mouth. 

And the Lord said to me, “Behold, I have put my words in your mouth. See, I have set you this day over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to break down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant.” 

They will fight against you, but they shall not prevail against you, for I am with you, declares the Lord, to deliver you.”

Jeremiah 1:4-10,19


To be honest, God  can say he knew each of us…Eeyores or not…He formed us…with a particular path and message…planned…


But, I digress, back to Jeremiah…God gave him words to speak to the people…and they were words of judgment, no wonder he is likened to Eeyore…those were hard words, harsh judgements to people who really don’t want to hear them…


 Now, therefore, say to the men of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: ‘Thus says the Lord, Behold, I am shaping disaster against you and devising a plan against you. Return, every one from his evil way, and amend your ways and your deeds.’ “But they say, ‘That is in vain! We will follow our own plans, and will every one act according to the stubbornness of his evil heart.’

Jeremiah 18:11-12 


But this people has a stubborn and rebellious heart; they have turned aside and gone away. They do not say in their hearts, ‘Let us fear the Lord our God, who gives the rain in its season, the autumn rain and the spring rain, and keeps for us the weeks appointed for the harvest.’

Jeremiah 5:23-24 


But this command I gave them: ‘Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be my people. 

And walk in all the way that I command you, that it may be well with you.’ 

But they did not obey or incline their ear, but walked in their own counsels and the stubbornness of their evil hearts, and went backward and not forward. 

“So you shall speak all these words to them, but they will not listen to you. You shall call to them, but they will not answer you. 

And you shall say to them, ‘This is the nation that did not obey the voice of the Lord their God, and did not accept discipline; truth has perished; it is cut off from their lips.

Jeremiah 7:23-24,27-28


Yet they did not obey or incline their ear, but everyone walked in the stubbornness of his evil heart. Therefore I brought upon them all the words of this covenant, which I commanded them to do, but they did not.”

Jeremiah 11:8


But, amongst the judgements, are shining verses that show God’s everlasting love…


“I am merciful…”


“I will heal your faithlessness “


“Delights in steadfast love, justice, and righteousness “


There is none like you, O Lord; you are great, and your name is great in might. Who would not fear you, O King of the nations? 

For this is your due; for among all the wise ones of the nations and in all their kingdoms there is none like you. 

But the Lord is the true God; he is the living God and the everlasting King. At his wrath the earth quakes, and the nations cannot endure his indignation.

Jeremiah 10:6-7,10


 “Can do all things”…


“Your words  became to me a joy and delight  of my heart…”


“My strength, stronghold, refuge”

Healer, savior, praiseworthy…


For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.

Jeremiah 29:11-13


We need the Eeyores in life as well as the encouragers….we need those who speak truth, those who challenge us…even when it may be hard…we need each other….and most of all we need God, who loves us with an everlasting love…who has plans for us…who strengthens us…who disciplines us…builds us up…Jesus, a Saviour, …the Holy Spirit, truth bearer, counselor….


Thank YOU…..

No comments:

Post a Comment