Sunday, June 28, 2020

Years past...”changed plans...

Years past...”changed” plans...

Not in my plan...
A little over ten years ago, I ripped my Achilles’ tendon doing squats...the pain was so intense that I went to the emergency section of the hospital, three hours later I emerged with a gauze wrapped leg, crutches and pain killer..., plus, see the order doctor on Monday...
What made this a little more intense was the fact that my husband, one son in law, his father and another friend had left that morning for Mongolia...I could barely walk, was crawling around the floor, taking painkillers...I called my daughter for consoling, she and my grandson came to my rescue...we left for the weekend to visit central Nevada...no use sitting in house waiting for Monday to come...finally got a boot to wear for four months...my husband and I left for western China when he returned from Mongolia ..my boot got me great seats on the long flights...we walked miles...a great adventure...
Came home to take care of mother from surgery, instead she died suddenly in hospital...took care of dad instead...wearing that boot...healing ...grieving...

Nine years ago, the plan was to go with a group to Mongolia to facilitate VBS groups for various groups...MK’s,...instead, I had emergency eye surgery, and couldn’t go, but found a replacement whom God had prepared for this assignment...They had an amazing time...the group left while I recovered the whole summer from that surgery...immediately following the group’s return, I had to have another corrective eye surgery ...easy peasy compared to first one...my husband and I had to go on a business trip...one of our last...

Within a month, he was losing his balance, until he was finally diagnosed with Stage 4 brain cancer and given 12-18 months to live...he barely made it 5...

The following August, a widow, I was moving into my first house as a single...new “plan”...not mine, though...

Again, The next year,  August, I was making my father’s funeral plans...after his downward spiral this spring...

Those four summers, one right after another were the most stressful, the most vividly God orchestrated that I can see...events sure didn’t happen the way I planned, but looking  back, I can see the provisions, the timing, the steps, the infinite watch-care that was there...some of that time was an emotional blur, a cast-down time like no other...but, there was an underlying peace that brought our family and myself through the rough waters...it wasn’t walking along a flower strewn path, or light hearted banter...it was deep pain, upheaval like our family had never seen...
We emerged changed...humbled to our core.....

I was reminiscing in my thoughts of those years and others, while reading James this week...God’s plan, trials, provision, blessing...joy...they each come day to day...but some stand out above the others, lessons to learn, those generational stories ...thank YOU...


Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 
Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 
But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.
James 1:2-8 

Grieve, mourn and wail. 
Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 
Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. 
Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 
Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. 
What is your life? 
You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 
Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” 
Brothers and sisters, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. 
As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. 
You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. 
The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.
James 4:9-10,13-15,5:10-11 



No comments:

Post a Comment